Known as a food additive, Carrageenan is also known as the Irish Moss. It is extracted from a sea weed and thus is commonly known as the Irish moss, a plant that is mainly found in the shores of Ireland. It belongs to the family of linear sulphated Polysaccharides and is available in the shores in which the water will be constantly moving. The nutrition quotient in this helps to maintain the nutrition level of the body. It has been known to reduce the starvation of the people of Ireland. What is carrageenan? Well, it is a food additive which is safe to use.
There are several benefits of using Carrageenan
- Apart from using as a tasty ingredient this also pertain many of the health benefits. This can be beneficial for the treatment of bronchitis and many intestinal issues. Also this can be useful for the treatment of tuberculosis.
- The benefits and the use of this product can be proved in the food that is made with this. It can also be recognised with the structure and texture of the food item.
- This is used as a thickening agent in many food products like the ice cream, milk and other bakery products.
- Many problems in the human body including peptic ulcer can be treated with the help of carrageenan. It has been seen that many of the skin problems can be treated with the help of carrageenan.
- The meat industry has benefitted with the carrageenan in a better way. Due to its gelling capability and property for water holding maintain this in the food industry. The yield can be increased to a higher level when this is combined with some kind of emulsifying salts. This may also enable to form a structural integrity in the formation of the meat products. Due to this benefit this can also be useful for the meat based canned products for the pets.
- This is found to be helpful in diary based salad dressings and also beneficial for the non food based applications like cosmetics and pharmaceutical industry. Know what is carrageenan
- This can decrease the swelling and works as an anti inflammatory agent. The sulphur content that is available in the sea weeds are used to protect the body from all the infections.
Carrageenan is large molecules that are in the form of the curls. This makes them capable in forming in different variety at the room temperatures. Most of the carrageenan is considered to be polysaccharides with increased molecular weight .Due to the advance in the food processing and with good food texture carrageenan is well in combination with starch and protein. Due to its taste and the elastic ability and with its ability to retain the water this can be used in emulsification.